Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Macy's Credit Card

No surprise by now that I like to shop... I've recently been buying a lot of gifts and even some gifts for myself ;) at Macy's, and I don't have a Macy's card, which means that I'm missing out on a lot of the "extra 20% off" deals for cardholders, which I'm now thinking could really pay off.

What's holding me back:
1) I don't like to nick my credit rating with new inquiries from opening up cards. I've heard that multiple inquiries in a short period of time will only count against you once, and since I recently opened up a new USAA cash rewards card, I might be able to sneak in a Macy's card without affecting my credit score.

2) I think you get a pretty good discount on purchases on the DAY that you open the card, and since I want to maximize that benefit, I'm waiting until I need to make an expensive purchase... I guess the $183 dress I bought last month didn't count ;) But then I just bought a gift at Macy's for $76 and I could have saved $10 or so if I had had a Macy's card... not to mention all of the special cardholder coupons you get in the mail.

Sigh. I can't decide when/if to do this.

5 comments:

The Cheap Skater said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MoneyMaus said...

Hi! Thanks for the comments on my blog. I just read your blog and I really like it, too! I am VERY jealous that you live in NYC, it is my absolute favorite city in the States and I can't get enough of it - especially the FOOD! :) I also LOVE to travel - though it's normally just a few trips a year to visit family in Seattle or friends around the country, my true passion in international travel (I really need to write a blogpost about it some time!). In response to some of your comments, I have heard nothing but great things about USAA - though I come from a non-military family so I have a traditional B&M plus my online ING account, which is great! I've heard about the air conditioning potentially messing with MPG, but I haven't tried it - mostly because if I have the AC on, it is only on the lowest settings so I doubt it makes a huge difference since I am not blasting it a lot. Not sure about the open windows one, either lol.

Keep blogging! :)

CBonebreak said...

Hey Money Maus, thanks for stopping by! I added your blog to my blogroll for easy access :) Also, I took my first trip to Seattle this spring, and if I could find a similar job out there, I'd move in a heartbeat! (It was oddly sunny for the two days I was there, though...)

Anonymous said...

I don't think we have trader joe's here in Texas, and if we do then I don't know about it! We have Randall's, Kroger, HEB and Walmart....

Anonymous said...

I have a macys credit card i got to save me some percentage when i shopped.Wish I never had I paid the bills online and owed nothing now a month later they send me a bill of charges for not paying online it shows i paid and customer service said they would delete it so as soon as i said okay cancel the card they want the money i dont owe.Now they say i must send a copy of my bank statements they never recieved liars I am not sending my bank statements to them.Beware of Macys.Took me 3 hours to get to customer service.If i eve3r get this mess sorted out i will boycott macys.