Monday, July 21, 2008

Selling old stuff on Craig's List

I had a new roommate move in last month, who brought with her a great, dark-wood buffet to put into our already-crowded living room. (Half of which is now a bedroom, thanks to the ease of putting up temporary walls in NYC! That's the only way to make living here affordable when you're first starting out.) The rest of our furniture is dark leather or wood, so it matches quite nicely. I had a 3-yr old light-wood TV stand from IKEA that I bought "as is" when I first moved here, and as such it has some pre-existing scratches and dents but I got it for $80, more than $100 less than retail at the time. I'm now ready to depart with this piece of furniture, since there is not room for it AND the buffet, and they would serve the same purpose, anyway. (And shout-out to my roommate, who is probably not reading this, but just splurged on a brand-new 40 inch Plasma TV! YEAHHH!!!! My boyfriend hugs it whenever we leave the apartment. I think he'd leave me for her if more expensive toys were in the near future...)

My dilemna: do I try to sell it? Or just put it in our apartment building's trash room, where it will hopefully be discovered by someone and be given a proper, loving home? To some, it would seem simple: sell it! Why not make money on it? The reason I hesitate is that I don't know if I can coordinate with people who want to come see it, or even if I feel safe having strangers come to my apartment. I work 6:30-6:30 M-F and am traveling most weekends, and after work I have a host of client events/dinners/etc. that make my hours at home unpredictable. And living in NYC, I don't know how good I feel about having strangers come to see it or pick it up. I'm also a little embarrassed that there are so many dark scratches on it- I might not even get much for it in the first place.

Anyone had good or bad luck selling their old (and heavily used) furniture? Do I just bite the $25-$45 I might make on it and leave it in the trash room?

No comments: