Tuesday, July 29, 2008

While my boyfriend and I have only been together for less than a year (having been friends for a few), I see great potential in our relationship and we have begun fantasizing about the future, and what we want to do/have. This includes a house/apartment (buy a tiny place in the city or get a huge lake house in the Adirondacks? hmmm? :) ), phatty retirement fund, lots of camping gear, dream vacations, etc. If we do decide to be together forever, I assume that we will be pooling our funds to make these things happen. As such, even though our funds are very far from being comingled, I still think of his money as my money and vice versa when it comes to our future spending potential.

That said, I'm unhappy to learn that he lost $200 playing flip cup while I was in Vegas. Ok, so I lost some money, too ($75), and did not discuss with him my $5o0 gambling budget, so I realize that I'm being hypocritical. It's just that when I make the effort to be frugal on other fronts (clipping coupons, taking the subway instead of a cab, making dinner instead of ordering out) and he goes ahead and spends excessive amounts of money in these categories, I feel like our combined net worth is going down because of his spending habits despite my best efforts to preserve it (gambling aside!). OK, I guess flip cup is also gambling. And he's quite the chugger, so I can see why he thought he would win, haha.

Many of you PF bloggers out there are married or are in significant relationships- how do you deal with or compromise with your partner's spending habits, when they are not the same as your own?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not married, finances not combined.

BF makes and spends less than me, we haven't had any problems yet. I'm pretty open about my finances and say things like "I only have X left for eating out this month, so maybe we should go to thai rather than sushi"

Do you guys talk about it? It may not be something to worry about yet, but eventually you'll need to be able to talk openly. He might not even realize what he's spending.

CBonebreak said...

Thanks for the input... I don't think either of us budget (yet), so specifics haven't come up. I'm working on the budgeting... ;)

Problem for now is that he's very sensitive about how much he makes because he thinks that his peers make a lot more than he does, as he climbed up a different side of the corporate ladder and may have missed a few pay raises along the way. (I am encouraging him to talk to his new boss about this ASAP) Hopefully as soon as his salary situation is corrected, we can have an open discussion about where we want to allocate our resources.

I have a best friend who is getting married, and she and her husband are pooling a portion of their salaries and then keeping small slush funds for themselves so that they don't have to justify their whimsical purchases. I like this plan...

SavingDiva said...

not married...not living together...soon to be separated by 1500 miles.

I don't worry about how he spends his money unless he spends it on me. If I think he spent too much, then I freak out...yeah, I'm a spaz!