Thursday, July 31, 2008

401k Rollover

Phew! Step 4 of my 401k rollover is complete!

1) Call Vanguard, figure out how to get 401k money from old employer- DONE
2) Call old employer, have them send me the forms- DONE
3) Fill out forms, send back to old employer- DONE
4) Figure out how to distribute money to current employer- DONE
5) Send rollover checks to current employer


And BTW, the reps at Vanguard are super friendly and helpful. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

I worked at my old employer as an intern for a few summers, and after the first full year (they kept me on the payroll all year long), I was eligible for my very first 401k! I was only 19, but dutifully put away 10% of my money, and my employer even matched some of it! Since I only did that for two summers, and my intern salary was pretty low, the total in my accounts is less than $3,000, but it's MY $3,000!

1 comment:

MoneyMaus said...

That is SO neat that you were able to do that!! And $3K from your old 401k is great, especially since it was accumulated when you were younger!