Friday, August 1, 2008

Another trip?

Uh oh, my travel wheels are spinning.... B is switching groups at work and is taking a week off during the transition, but since the timing was very last-minute, I wasn't able to get that week off as well (my vacation schedule has to be coordinated with a few people at work to make sure that the markets are properly covered). As a compromise, I was able to take off Mon and Tues Aug 11-12, which will give us a nice four-day weekend!

Soooo..... travel itch coming on. B is not as spontaneous as I am when it comes to finding great travel deals and just booking them immediately, so even though I found RT, non-stop flights to Puerto Rico for $300/pp and can use my corporate discount at a beachfront hotel there, he said NO :( Grumble grumble... I hate to say it, but my ex would have said "OK!!" and I'd have a Caribbean vacation to look forward to. Yes, I just pulled the "ex would have done it" card because you are my anonymous readers, and I know better than to say that to B's face. I get where he's coming from, because it's very last minute and air travel has not been that smooth this summer, but I'm a little disappointed that he's limiting the destinations for our four-day weekend to places where his car will take us.

Some other ideas I'm tossing around:
*All-inclusive resort in Cancun (haha I know, I'm cheating, no airplanes! But I've still used kayak.com to look up some flight prices for that weekend)
*Newport, Rhode Island to check out some phatty mansions and hang out on the beach. A colleague recently stayed at a B&B there, but it's not cheap.
*Williamsburg, VA- I used to go there as a kid, and it's really a lot of fun (Busch Gardens, too!), but it's a very far drive from NYC, hence the thought to go for the long weekend.
*Adirondacks/Lake Placid- B has some relatives with cabins in the area, so we could likely stay for free, or if we want to go all the way up to Lake Placid, we'd have to find a room. We're planning a trip up there in October for an overnight hike, so maybe we should just wait until then?
*Hang around our apartments in NYC? Make some trips to Costco and Ikea and other fabulously fun places where I will most likely spend money on things I don't need? "Staycations" are very popular these days. My only hesitation is that since it's so hard for us to get the same time off, I don't want to "waste" it doing what we could do on any other weekend.

If you're from the NYC area, or even if you aren't, any suggestions?




Additionally, I just found out that I will be able to take off the week of New Year's, and while B might have to be in that week because of a colleague's paternity leave (yup! paternity, how cool is that?!), he might be able to work something out, and then we'll have to figure out something fabulous to do for New Year's! I want to go to New Zealand!

No comments: