Thursday, August 21, 2008

$100 poorer

I participated in a poker game with a group of colleagues last night and lost $100 :( I'm a little bit torn about whether I "just" lost $100, or if I should have put another $100 on the line to buy more chips, thus enabling me to potentially win the whole tournament.

I love to play poker, so I eagerly jumped into this game; plus, as the only girl on my team at work, I think it's important to participate in "guy's night" when possible (i.e. I can play poker with them, but I probably wouldn't enjoy going to football games with them). Silly office politics, but anyway... I lobbied for a $50 buy-in, but then the last person to arrive to the game bullied everyone into putting down $100, with an opportunity to buy back in at 9pm for another $100 and a fresh stack of chips.

When 9pm rolled around I had a pretty healthy stack, having won a few decent pots, so I decided to minimize my potential loss by not buying back in. The problem is that everyone else at the table bought in again, so then they had even bigger stacks of chips than I did, which put me at a disadvantage. A few hands later and I was out all together :( I wonder, if I had put the other $100 on the line, could I have taken them down? I find solace in the fact that the player who argued for $100 buy-ins did not even place, so he would have been better off keeping his mouth shut!

I wonder if I can write this off as a networking event/ business expense... :P Just kidding!

But my wallet is sadly $100 lighter :(

2 comments:

DINKS said...

You are seriously one of the coolest chicks on the planet. Into personal finance AND poker? Damn girl.

(and yes, drop another $100 and go all in! Esp. if you get my favorite Hold 'em hand - the Pair of ladies)

CBonebreak said...

I like to name my hands, too- for example, the Q/8 is "The Flying Nun" and a 7/9 is "French Toast," etc... no real reason behind the names, just something I developed as I played, ha. Maybe one day I'll put together the full list!

And thanks for your help with the USAA issue this morning, you never know what they'll do until you ask!