Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Fraud?

I decided to go ahead and open up an HSBC Direct online savings account to put my Countrywide CD that matures at the end of this month and my bonus that will be paid to me later this month. HSBC is currently offering 3.5% for accounts opened before September 15. I'm not a rate chaser, but HSBC has been consistently higher than other high-yield savings accounts, including ING with whom they seem to be in a rate war. So, even though the 3.5% won't last forever, I feel like I can trust their rates to be consistently high, whatever they are.

The account opening process was easy, but I got tripped up by something that hopefully means nothing. I'm used to being asked all kinds of identity verification questions when opening up new accounts, such as "what county do you live in?," "what is your most recent address?," etc. But today I was asked: "You recently opened up a mortgage with which lender? What is the amount?" and "You recently initiated a car loan with which lender? What is the amount?"... I answered "none of the above" to all of the options to these questions, as I have neither a mortgage or a car loan... but when I submitted my answers, I was told that my identity could not be verified and that they would be contacting me for more information!!! Does this mean that there is a mortgage or loan out there in my name??

I tried to get more information, but the Equifax number they gave me won't let you speak to a person, it just tells you to mail your request to some address in Georgia. Only paying Equifax members have access to personal customer support. I called the bank back a few times and they said that it's probably nothing, those are standard questions, but still, it got me worried, because they shouldn't ask me those particular questions unless they have reason to. They will be able to tell me in 24-48 hours if there is something wrong with my answers to those questions. Still, I'm unsettled, and I've already gotten free credit reports from all three agencies this year, so I can't get another free one (unless they make an exception for fraud concerns).

2 comments:

MoneyMaus said...

I had something similar happen to me recently when I opened my checking account online with WaMu. It asked me the same mortgage question and I certainly haven't opened one! I also got the "identity could not be verified" page - but then I realized my mistake. I had used my CURRENT address, but that address is not linked to my SS # or my driver's license or any other real forms of ID. I tried to open the account again, using my family's address (which I know are linked to my SS# and DL) and I got asked the mortgage question again, hit no again, and I was able to open the account! So, perhaps something you entered was incorrect? I don't think it means there is fraud/ID theft going on. Perhaps just someone else with a same/similar name.

CBonebreak said...

Maus- That's good to hear... I wonder if I botched my address or most recent addresses. If you knew my name, I think you'd agree that it's quite unique and unlikely that I've been mixed up (unless my brother is using my credit to buy a new sports car, haha, which maybe I shouldn't put past him...) HSBC said they will follow up in 24-48 hours with more questions to verify my identity, so hopefully when I hear from them, they can explain what happened.