Wednesday, August 13, 2008

401k rollover forms are in the mail

I received my direct distribution rollover check for the 401k I started at my former employer and mailed it in to my current employer yesterday. So easy!!!

For those of you with 401k scraps at a former employer, rolling it over is easy. I called the generic phone number at the bottom of my Vanguard statement, and they were able to give me the contact number for the person at my former employer who could help me. She mailed me the appropriate termination forms for the 401k account, and once those were returned I received the direct distribution check. FYI, in order to rollover the money without paying taxes, the money must be distributed to another 401k-type account within 60 days.

Now all of my retirement money is one place (except for my IRA, which is still at Vanguard), which gives me some peace of mind.

Shout-out to the Vanguard reps who answered all of my questions- they were so friendly and helpful, and I didn't have to go through an automated phone maze to get to a real person!

2 comments:

DINKS said...

There you go! i love xfering money over to places...it's a small little thing that brings immense joy to me. is that weird?

CBonebreak said...

I understand your pleasure, J- xfering money into the same places turns lots of little piles of money into one BIG pile of it!