Friday, August 22, 2008

Overdraft Fees SUCK! (but USAA rocks!!)

As I'm sure most of you PF fanatics are diligent about account bookkeeping, I, too, consider myself to be organized when it comes to my accounts. I make sure that I have sufficient funds when writing checks (especially that hefty rent check at the end of each month), transfer money if necessary before paying credit card bills, etc. My checking account is linked to my smaller savings account for overdraft protection, but what happens when you overdraft your savings account? By accident, of course!

I recently opened an HSBC account to get a higher savings rate for my anticipated bonus, and I decided to make a "small" transfer of $750 to make sure that everything worked correctly and that I had it linked to the right USAA account. I intended to make the small deduction from my checking account, since that's where my bonus would be directly deposited. This morning, I got an email notice that "the transfer failed due to insufficient funds..." HUH? Impossible! Investigation ensued.

As background info, my relevant accounts at USAA are arranged as such:
Checking: $2k
Savings 1: $500 (for overdraft from checking, has low interest rate)
Savings 2: $20k (a higher interest rate because of the higher balance)

"Savings 1" only exists as an overdraft account, which is why I keep the balance so low. I checked all debits and transfers to this account after receiving the rejected transfer email, and sure enough, they had tried to transfer the $750 from this account, hence the rejection. Also in this account was a big red $29 overdraft fee >:( I quickly transferred another $500 into this account for when they re-attempt the transfer.

So how did this happen? Well, it's my fault, of course. Computers don't make mistakes, right? When I set up my external transfer account, I copied and pasted the account and routing numbers directly from my checking account info page. However, the way the page is set up is that it lists the checking account number, followed by the overdraft account number linked to the account. In my haste, I accidentally copied the overdraft account number!! Sigh.

What makes me mad is that this is exactly what I was trying to avoid! I set up the smaller transfer so that when I made the big one, I would be sure that it was coming from the right account and not overdraw my smaller ones by accident. What I should have done was select a test amount that was smaller than the lowest balance of any of my accounts. I just didn't think that transferring from my smallest savings account was even an option, since the only two accounts I thought I had set up for transferring were my checking and larger savings accounts.

Fellow blogger J Money recently had a situation in which he was able to kiss enough USAA butt for them reverse his overdraft fee- I have every intention of calling them when their offices open this morning and pleading my case, I hope I have the same luck. Will keep you updated!


Update: Whoo hoo! I called USAA and they refunded me the overdraft fee as a one-time courtesy, since I do in fact have enough funds in my other accounts to cover the transfer. As it was my own dumb mistake, I was prepared to just take the hit, but it's nice when your bank is actually serviced by human beings (unlike Jet Blue... GRRR! Still mad at you, Jet Blue! Take some customer service notes from USAA!)

2 comments:

DINKS said...

USAA will totally hook you up, especially if you're not calling every day to wave some fee.

In fact, when i used the last credit card check to pay the remainder of my Highlander off, they hit me with a $75 fee!!!! I was like, waiiiiiiit a minute here.

I called and explained that was never once told to me, and that they tell me EVERYTHING, and the girl put me on hold and 5 mins later waved it saying "it wasn't supposed to be there and they were sorry"!!!

I'm telling you, the simple fact of calling and asking for help goes a looooog way. Especially with USAA ;)

D. Patrick Caldwell said...

I've been browsing articles on blogspot on the topic of overdraft fees and I found yours. I've been interested in this practice for some time now. I've long felt like the financial industry intentionally takes advantage of the disadvantaged.

I've concocted a short (2 question) survey to look specifically at overdraft fees and level of income.

Would you mind terribly if I leave this comment soliciting responses from your readers?

The instructions are simple:
1) Take the survey
2) Give these instructions to everyone you know

Thanks a million,
Patrick Caldwell